13 September 2011

Grocery Stores in the Mall!!!!!

One of the strangest things I have encountered shopping in New Zealand is grocery stores in the mall. Yes, indeed, you heard me correctly. They keep the grocery stores in the MALL!!
And not just one grocery store, sometimes they have TWO of them anchoring an indoor shopping mall.  Of course, there is also a department store, too.  But I find it incredibly strange that there are shopping trolleys full of food being pushed down through the mall, past the food court. Heck, why not sit down at a table in the mall and  make yourself a sandwich from your groceries in your cart?
And the parking is ridiculous.  Knowing I am coming out of the grocery store with a full trolley, I try to park near the  grocery store entrance. Me and about 10 million other shoppers, it seems.  I generally end up cruising that parking lot for about 20 minutes hoping to find a spot--like it is a Saturday night in a bar district. It's absurd.
And wanting to pop in to the store for a couple of things? Forget about it. It's just not worth it.
I do my "grab and go" shopping at one of the smaller grocery type stores like Mad Butcher, rather than fight the crowds at the mall.
Don't get me wrong, there are some grocery stores that operate out of a strip shopping type of set up, like Countdown. But if you want the big discount grocery store, you usually have to fight the mall crowds.


Pak n Save at the Mall

in front of Pak n Save in the mall (in case you didn't believe me) 

No comments:

Post a Comment